Wednesday, March 27, 2024

A discussion on Sherman Harrill by Richard Ruberto

 


 Well Yvonne, he tagged me real good and lots of times too. Tom's on this list and can back that up. When I left, I was overwhelmed and remembered nothing. I had bruises all over my body and loved every bit of it.  FINALLY, someone who hits harder than I do. LOL

 

Yvonne wrote:

What impressed you walking in and what impressed you about the man?

God this could take a while to answer but let me try to shorten it up a bit. 


Harrill had this way about him. He loved to joke, yet he was really serious about what he did. He could walk the talk, sort of speak. 

I could talk to him one on one and tell him exactly what was on my mind. He never judged me, he always supported me. He encouraged me and assured me I was on the right path. If not for him and Advincula, I would have left training years ago. I would say I miss hearing his voice, but I still hear it in my head. I still talk to his picture in my dojo. He was patient and tried to helped others. He was modest and humble. He could hit like a freight train, and I always liked that.

 

   I will continue my reply later.

 

Rich



            About what I learned from Harrill sensei. He would say, I will only give them what they can handle at the time. Whenever I learn something new, I slow down the pace until I get it. If I react to an attack, as I do in my everyday training, I will react and be much more proficient. So, it's normal for me, not to be as effective in execution during the initial learning phase.

 

       This was the case with what Harrill taught me. I had never seen what he was teaching up to that time I first met him. I was schooled in a different manner of understanding. Now this doesn't mean I couldn't defend myself or that my technique wasn't effective.

 

       I only became effective with what Harrill taught me, when I stopped trying to mimic or remember things in just a physical sense. Advincula says, don't mimic, understand. 


I don't write much on paper, I train, that's how I learn. 


When I finally understood the principles Harrill taught, it started to work. This causes a small problem for me, when someone asks me to show them what Harrill teaches. I am a product my all my teachers and whatever else I've learned. So today I am me, not them, as I explained in my previous post.

 

    I say, it's an honor when a student follows his teacher. I say, it's a higher honor when that student understands what his teacher was teaching to begin with. When the student doesn't look like a photocopy yet follows the principles. I hope this makes sense.

 

    My teachers have molded me. I think differently they them for obvious reasons, yet we agree far more then disagree.

 

Rich

 

 

Here are some guidelines that I use for myself and suggest that people that train with me to follow. I look at the Isshin~Ryu system of Tatsuo Shimabuku as a book.


When I open it up basics, katas and weapons are chapters. I go to Seisan kata, and each section is listed into paragraphs and sentences.  When reading the book, it never changes, as this would change the book and the system. I would like everyone to be able to see how I remember Sensei Shimabuku. 


What I have them do is they can take any movement from the kata (side block straight punch) at which time it is no longer Seisan kata. They can explore with this move using their own ideas or information they have received from any source. 


What I suggest for guidelines is that what they come up with will work from either side, be fast and effective. 


Then ask this question, would I use this to protect my life or would I teach this to a family member to protect their life. If the answer is yes then use it, if no then hit the delete button. 


When they are done with the movement it then returns to the book as it came out, a side block and straight punch. 


This way the kata always remains the same except for more understanding of the movement. 


SJH (Sherman Harrill)



 

While I was driving home tonight, I saw two guys, in a house, by an opened window. In the background I saw what looked like a sword stand but could be wrong. Anyway, it reminded me of this story.


If you recall, I said, I first met Harrill sensei in 1990, in Florida. Sensei asked me if I liked swords. To which I replied yes.


He said good, tag along when I visit my buddy tonight. Rich, he said, he has a collection of swords that is something else. So I drove sensei to this guy's house.


He introduced me and in we went. I think he lived by himself and for the life of me I can't recall his name. He said, I will teach you what to look for in a good sword and left the room. All of a sudden, the lights went out. My first thought was, oh s_ _t, what's this guy up to? I didn't know what to expect and was waiting to fight my way out or die that night. He gave us both the creeps for a second and we shared our feelings on the way back to the hotel.


Well, I didn't have to do either one of the above. The guy walked

over to where Harrill and I were standing and turned on the light. He handed sensei the sword first, then sensei handed it to me. We were told to hold it up to the light at a certain angle. Then he pointed out the layers of steel and it's good and bad qualities. This sword he told us, had an imperfection. To me a very small one. Had it not been for that, it would have been worth a small fortune.


I can't remember this gentleman's name, but the tour was great. Sensei could have taken anyone with him that night. He asked me and this after just meeting him. Him and I got to talk about his thoughts on karate and things in general. The more I remember these stories, the more I feel privileged to have gained his friendship.


Rich


No comments: