Saturday, March 2, 2024

Seiunchin Augumented Side Block



Back about 1987 was when I really began working on Isshinryu kata applications. One of the kata I worked on was applications for Seiunchin kata. Of course, one of the technique sequences I used began with the RFF Left Augmented Right Block where you then step away and Left Low Block.  


Sometime later I attended a George Dillman clinic in Manchester NH and George asked me how I would 'Bunkai' that movement. I demonstrated what I had worked out. I imagine George did not expect me to do so, for at that time bunkai was a relatively new term to use and he expected as most Isshinryu at that time did not do such. he was quite surprised that I had a working answer.


Then in1987 just before I was flying out for a business conference, I heard George Dillman was giving a clinic at a friend's school in Manchester, NH and I chose to attend.

As I was warming up George Dillman noticed me and said Smith, I know you from Pennsylvania;” Now in Penna I was too low ranked to be noticed by him. (When I left, I was but a 3rd dan0. He realistically associated with the Big Boys (all of whom also ran tournaments).

 As the day progressed, he talked, and talked and talked, never showing anything. But boy could he spin a good tail. Personally, many times I did not feel his narrative was accurate. But I was just there to attend.

Then a bit after the lunch break, he suddenly said. “Smith, you are Isshinryu, how would you explain the augmented side block section from Seiunchin kata.”

I believe I felt I could not do so. For in those days almost no one worked on kata applications anywhere I had trained.”

But from the 5 years I had trained with Tris Sutrisno, I learned quite a bit about how his father's system used kata technique for decades of unique application studies.

Now living in NH I began to apply the concept kata technique had many application potentials and I started doing so with my favorite kata being Seiunchin Kata.

So, when George set me up with an uke to step in and throw a right punch(strike) toward me, I responded.

I parried the strike with a soft augmented block then continued by separating my arms, placing the right hand on the attacking wrist as I delivered a left strike into his groin. Then as he bent over, I took my left hand and grabbed his wrist to step away using both hands to pull him down to side. The following step away and low block.

Which left George having nothing to say further. But he did not acknowledge what I had done and just went on with his monologue.

I left the clinic and had not seen George do anything.

I had no idea what he had after being there.


About a decade later after attending a few clinics with Sherman Harrill, I showed him the 'bunkai' Mabuni ( Shito-Ryu) described in his book where he showed that section of Seiunchin kata. I had translated the French edition of that book for Joe Swift). When I showed it to Sherman and expressed, I could not see that occurring. This was that the defender's right knee was pressing into the attackers left leg dropping them in the process making the left low block strike the groin easier.

 



Then a video of this bunkai as performed by modern Shito-Ryu on the same section offered a slightly different answer, see below. In this case the left low block moved under the attacking limb.

 





Morio Higaonna (Goju Ryu) demonstrated his answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi1Rj50D9x4


Of course, Shimabuku Tatsuo had been a student of Higaonna Morio and Seiunchin kata was one of the forms he studied with him. Then again Tatsuo made the form his with some modifications done by him, but essentially the Isshinryu Seiunchin was the same form as the Shito-ryu and Goju-ryu Seiunchin kata.


However, with my recent dips into my old, saved files, I have just realized another force enhancer (I learned from Sherman Harrill and of course John Kerker) works well to make this section more effective.


Then again no longer having students training with me, I do not plan to explain it further. A small way to retain some effectiveness in ever decreasing abilities. Of course you might be able to piece it together for yourself, it does mean you have to work.


Have fun, sweat some more.


Ed Summer (Goju-Ryu) made a contribution to my approach:

The only thing I add is to grab the arm I’ve blocked as I step in with the first strike, then as I step out, I exchange hands so that I can then smash said arm with that second (what looks like) gedan barai. 


No comments: