Thursday, March 7, 2024

A Request Koeppel Sensei

 A discussion with Phillip Koppel on research foran article I was writing for wwwFightingArts..com on the Secrets of the Old Okinawan Fist. Sherman Harrill recommended I contact I contact Koppel Sensei for his take on this fist.

 


Smith Sensei,

I am sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your request. I have been halfway around the world since you sent it to me. I also had to do some traveling when I returned to the States.

It is interesting, Fighting Arts.com/ Chris Caille was a young student in my dojo in 61/62 when he was a student at Bradley University. I still get to see him from time to time. He has done a fine job with his internet site.

Speaking of Harrell Sensei, he is an excellent karate do! You got to love his attitude and application.

I hope to get together with him here in Illinois when he is at Champaign in the near future.

 

Mr. Smith, here is what I can give you on my knowledge of the Seiken fist from my knowledge of it.

I started in Yokohama, Japan in 1956. I was stationed there in the Navy. The two dojo's I trained at both used the standard closed fist. I was transferred to Hawaii in 58 and started training in Sensei Adriano Emperado's dojo in Wahiawa. 


This is where I ran into the straight index finger closed under the thumb. When I asked about it there, Sensei, Tony Ramos, Vern Tokomoto, Jerry Martin, all stated that it gave a better spread to first two knuckles that you struck with. This was the standard fist for all application in his dojo at that time. I do not know what they do now. 


When I came out of the service in 60 and joined the USKA under R.A. Trias Sensei, I asked him about the history and usefulness of this type of fist. Trias sensei stated that it was called a " Shorei" fist. 


I never really questioned him about it but over a period of time the term "Shorei" has always been linked to Naha te, ti , de... And I know the Goju people do not use this type of fist. 


Patrick McCarthy spent about a week in my dojo in 97. I noticed he used this type of fist from time to time. We talked about it. He stated that it was not a "Shorei" fist but an application to help form a cupping palm. 


Also, when striking with Oniken, the finger on some karate do will be straight. I reinforce this theory with the cupping of the hand with using the coin. 


When Kimo Wall started training at my dojo from time to time he introduced the "Tama Ball" training and exercises. This also gives you a cupping hand, and you will notice when you keep the index finger straight and really squeeze with the thumb the palm of the had cups. 


The theory on Happoren, Tensho is the palm of the hand when pushing in shotei, is cupped for energy release.


A lot of this is conjecture on my part along with what other people, McCarthy, Trias, and Wall have told me and 46 years of training. 


I appreciate your research and if you come across any additional information on this subject, I would appreciate you letting me know what you find.

 

I hope this is of some help to you.

Sincerely,

Yours in Budo,

P.W. Koeppel




Subject: A Request Koeppel Sensei

 

Koeppel Sensei,

 

My friend (and whenever possible instructor), Sherman Harrill suggested I might contact you regarding some information.

 

I've been a practicing martial artist for about 28 years (primarily Isshirnyu, and Yang Tai Chi Chaun) and as a hobby I contribute articles to www.FightingArts.com .

 

I've been asked to do a short piece on the older style fist, with the straight index finger.  I studied it during training with Tris Sutrisino (an Indonesian Shotokan/Aikido/Tjimande stylist) for a period of 10 years.  His system changes to that style of fist after reaching 3rd dan.

 

My article is mostly a technical description of how the fist is formed, but I've also been trying to document its inclusion into the arts.

 

I can find almost everything I can find (Funakoshi Sensei's 1925 'Karate Jutsu', Mutsu Mizuo's 1933 work 'Toudi Kempo' show its formation, but there is little other documentation where it was used in Okinawa.  A friend of mine in Japan translated that section of Mutsu's book (he was a student of Funakoshi who also trained in Japan), and he credits that fist formation to being from the Shuri area (but that is hardly full documentation).

 

The other works were found in Nakayama's 'Dynamic Karate', Hidy Ochai's 'The Essence of Self Defense', and the most detailed description being by John Hamilton, Sensei Shorin No Tora in the Winter 1982-1983 issue of 'The Bujin'.

 

I knew John (a little) from my Pennsylvania days, and am aware he is a Shorin Ryu Stylist, but was not intimate and aware of his lineage.

 

Sherman this morning described how Shimabuku Tatsuo, his Sensei, described several other Okinawan systems to him, and demonstrated that style of punch.

 

He also suggested you may be able to point me towards which other Okinawan groups used it, to help place the context of the punch in Okinawan Karate History.

 

Most of the rest I've discovered falls into the category of Oral History. Where some feel it was the older Okinawn punch, that was changed to make things simpler for 'School Boy' karate, etc.  Unfortunately, Oral History rarely is fully accepted as evidence, and I'd like to do a little better than repeat gossip if possible.

 

I fully appreciate your taking the time to read this, and apologize for the intrusion it represents. But, if possible, I prefer to try and even make a small piece of martial literature accurate and useful.

 

As for myself, I contribute to a small youth karate program for free at the local Derry, NH Boys and Girls Club and have a small group of adult Dans who train with me too. Should you be interested more details about my karate can be found at www.funkydragon.com/bushi . (No longer in existence)

 

Thank you for any assistance you may offer.

 

Yours in Karate,

 

Victor Smith

Bushi No Te Isshinryu

 


Re: Fw to C. Caille: A Request Koeppel Sensei 


Victor

Thanks for sending this along. Actual Phil got the dates wrong on my studying with him. I first started in 1958 or 1959. then I left Peoria and when to Japan where I studied with Mas Oyama, When I returned in 1962 to continue college, I started teaching Kyokushin karate. Many years later, however, when I used to go to Canton, Illinois to tend our family business there, I used to stop in and train with him and his students -- this was about 1985-1988, I think.

 

Where do you want me to put this info in the article and how should it be treated?

Christopher Caille

 



Then the article on FightingArts.com

Secrets Of The Old Okinawan Fist

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=215






No comments: