Saturday, March 9, 2024

Deadly


Sucu videos keep showing up on YouTube, always showing another deadly technique. In this one Vince Morris is doing so.


However, there is so much that is not being mentioned, and that is the point to me.


It really has nothing to do with pressure points, connect the dots. 


One Strike, One Kill: The Deadliest Of Karate's Deadly Blows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEL943vD478



 


These techniques are not anything special. just take one of the techniques at 28:54 where he shows.  If we look at the Isshinryu Chinto this technique can be found. It is also a way to look at the Seisan kata or even at Tai Chi Chaun Da Lu. This also can be found in many other places.


As he described the technique, he suggests using full power against the attacker's strike and then use less power against the strike continuing into the neck to show you were not attempting to destroy the attacker.


Unfortunately, this is less than true. It does not address that when facing an unplanned defense against an attack, your adrenalin spikes and you are in less control at that point (suggesting a stronger strike for the conclusion).


Back in 1983 I attended a weekend Bando Summercamp with many varied training sessions. One was held by a Georgia State Trooper describing how the PR-24 was  used om police work. He also explained that police science was always attempting to find safer techniques and tools to restrain violent criminals. Yet continually they would find that those techniques and tools were not really less disabling unto death. And the important point was the assumption that the new idea would solve the 'problem' and not look at what really was occurring. An example would be the carotid choke as a way to safely control an opponent, as to put them to sleep. In actuality where the move would cause unconsciousness say when held for 20 seconds. But the adrenalin spike from fighting against someone attempting to injure you would result in an adrenalin spike to cause the officer to keep the hold for a minute or longer that might well result in death of the criminal.


Hence it is never accurate that a technique was always safe to use, and really is bad to suggest that it is safe.


Finally, to make my point allow me to show one variation I would use of this technique.


I would never teach these applications to kyu students (Youth or Adults) in my days. Of course it was a different world then. I shared such possibilities to my advancing dans (2nd degree and up.


Would I ever use it?  My answer is situational of course.


The times have greatly changed of course, and I am not a police officer.


I am but what I am.



What is that?  I would suggest you not step in and try to strike me.  LOL








No comments: