Sunday, August 27, 2023

Action, Reaction.

 


Patrick Byrnes

 

It’s over, I’m walking toward the other side of the gym, the table with sparring equipment and uniforms is right in front of me. The guy behind the table said that was incredible, I can’t believe how fast it happened. The man I just took down to the floor made a mistake and called me cheater, as a referee I made a call. You can disagree but you can’t say I cheated. During the action one of the fighters didn’t stop and I smacked him and pulled him off, he was on top of the other fighter. Oh the guy I smacked was one of mine. When I say stop, stop.

 

That’s when one of the people in the crowd called me a cheater, I took him off his feet and a whole bunch of people stopped me at that point. I didn’t even hit him yet. Frustrating, stopped before the hit.

 

The tournament continues, I’m still frustrated and he left the building. 5,000 people in the stands see the events continue.

 

Several people in attendance we’re kind enough to say they heard the “cheater” comment and understood my reaction.

 

The little story above was part of sharing War Stories over the years with Greg Older at Adam Older’s fortieth Birthday Party.

 

 

 

Victor Smith

 

Pat Burns is an extremely accomplished Shotokan instructor who lives north of Philadelphia. He had trained generations of great karate-ka. When Charles was going to seminary he trained there, and as an accomplished black belt then, found his hands more than full with a female green belt in kumite. Pat’s story brings one of my own to mind.

 

When I lived in Pennslyvania and attended many tournaments because I taught the young in time I was often a judge for youth kata and kumite. One day I was the center referee at a youth division, and that meant fight after fight I was judging. Then a fight came up where one young man who was fighting had his father sitting in the stands outside the ring begin shouting loudly “Kill your opponent” over and over, obnoxiously so.

 

 

He did not stop.  Finally I stopped the fighting and announced, “This fight is over” and awarded the fight to the other young man. Immediately the father jumped into the ring screaming ‘I had no right to do that and I was wrong.’

 

 

I informed him that “I would not permit anyone  to scream ‘Kill’ someone at any tournament.  Karate tournaments were not about killing.” 

 

 

 Of course he would not stop. Instead he ran over to the tournament director to complain. Which caused him to come over and see what it was about. I informed him that I would not permit anyone to act that way and as far as I was over the father’s actions disqualified the competitor.”

 

 

The director looked at me, reading the expression on my face and then told me, “Correct, continue the division.”

 

 

The young man and his father left.

No comments: