Monday, August 21, 2023

Charles Murray onTom Lewis

  

This week's blast from the past video clip is of my Sensei Tom Lewis doing Seiunchin Kata. I think it was late 1969 or early 1970. I was a senior in High School and this was taken at Sensei Lewis' Old Church Street Dojo in Salisbury MD. I had just gotten this Super 8 Movie Camera and was trying it out.

 

Sensei Lewis was and is an amazing Karate=Ka in that in addition to being good himself, he produced some really "Who's Who in Isshinryu" level students. Interesting is that when he left Okinawa some year's earlier, he was promoted to 5th Dan by Master Shimabuku, but then demoted himself to 1st Dan when he got back to the States. He then worked his way back up and when this video was taken he was "I think" a 3rd Dan. I was just "I think" a 3rd Kyu Brown Belt. Hope you enjoy this.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y7gBEw8oz8




No comments: