Monday, August 21, 2023

On the Tinbe and Rochin

 

Andreas Quast

 


While I had learned this kata before, I also refined it in great detail directly from Akamine sensei, the performer in the video, when I lived at his dojo 2010-2012.

 

I even trained with the same Timbe and Rochin 🤗 and had a great time at his dojo.

 

I just met Akamine sensei again this April in Okinawa, where I trained kenjutsu and bojutsu from the best. He hastened to some karate association meeting, so it was just a short hello. While I was never a member I was given some rank certificate in 2010 or so and was also asked if I'd like to change over to Mukenkai Shorin-ryu in 2012, shortly after its official establishment. I was offered a 3rd dan for that but said "no". Maybe that was rude, but it was not mine. I remember when we filmed all the kata of the Mukenkai system which were then send to the overseas representants to learn the techniques and kata to be able to teach the new stuff (they were previously practicing different techniques and kata).

 

Of course, a copy of the Tinbe kata description written by Akamine sensei's father -- with all the terminology used for techniques etc. -- is still in my personal archive 🥳

 

BTW, there are a lot of good Tinbe and Rochin to be bought these days, e.g. from Don Shapland's workshop. You might want to check out his equipment. Don is of Tesshinkan Ryukyu Kobudo of Tamayose sensei (whom I trained with in 2004).

 

BTW, Tamayose sensei practiced the Tinbe throw seen in the video 10000 times in a row. That was more than 10 years ago.

 

Anyway, while it is easily possible to learn kata from video, every school takes a lot of pride in their sensei's technique and habits. You also need these not only for gradings, but also for tournaments in Okinawa. I therefore think it is important to clearly explain the basic techniques first. This has been started by Nakamoto Mamoru sensei of the Bunbukan on YouTube on example of a simple Jodan/Shomen-uchi. I hope the dozens of other techniques will follow one by one, as well as techniques for the other tools.

 

The original video on this message has been deleted. I have found this one to show what is being discussed.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwvCEx4O7F0

 

 



Andreas Quast Tamaki Takeo with Tinbe and Rochin, or shield and short halberd. Tinbe is a phonetic corruption of the Chinese "Tengpai", a general term for all kinds of shields. The term was used for centuries in Chinese sources to describe the shields carried by soldiers and officers on Chinese investiture ships to Ryukyu.


The writing on the Tinbe says "Ryukyu Kobudo Hozon Shinkokai - Matsugawa Shibu (branch dojo)."

No comments: