Sunday, August 20, 2023

From the first time I began training with Tris Sutrisno

 


 

From the first time I began training with Tris Sutrisno I found he followed no order how he was showing technique. In my 2nd class in 1980 he had us working a technique I never saw again. One of the more interesting things I learnt was how to casually walk past someone and using the motion of your body passing theirs hide the motion of what you hand can do to them very quickly

 

As you were walking by the target you would make a very quick spear hand in and out thrust to their throat. Others would just see them drop and you would just remain walking by.

 


There were many other like instructions. One time not to be repeated.

 

As he was primarily sharing his family Shotokan, his family Aikido, his family kobudo tradition. And his family Tjimande, along with other stuff I don’t know where this originated.

 

Perhaps a Tjimande Indonesian tradition, originating in the days his father was in the Indonesian underground against the Dutch.

 

I only saw it practiced one time, but as I rarely forgot anything, this stuck.

It was not something taught by the others that trained me.





 

No comments: