Tuesday, August 29, 2023

The times I have seen Fusie Kise

 


 



 

Back about 1983 I attended a tournament in Pennsylvania where Kise Fusei was the guest, it was held by Al Smith and his Red Dragon dojo (no relation). I don’t think they did the Shorin Ryu of Kise Sensei, but heard they had there for several weeks of clinics for his students, and they held a tournament in his honor. Of course he demonstrated kata. But I remember it more for the controversy that occurred.

The day of the tournament we were told women’s black belt competition would not be a separate event as was the men’s black belt competition, because Kise sensei did not want the women seen competing. Instead their competition would be on the floor along with the rest of the forms competitors. There were a lot of mad competitors and I recall Al Smith held a special black belt meeting about the issue.

The next year there was another tournament in Pennasylvania and Kise Sensei was also there and demonstrating.

After that I moved to New Hampshire and re-established my program there. Then I was invited by Greg Lazerus (Sensei’s Kise’s student) to attend a basic kobudo seminar over in Portsmouth, NH. My senior student, Mike Cassidy, and I went. Kobudo was not new to me but I was interested in seeing what was shown. Kise Sensei sat and watched and Greg Lazurus led the instruction on a basic bo, sai and kama form. Kise Sensei supplied some interesting remarks on Kama, among them they would be purchased on Okinawa as the hardwear store, because every home used them for gardening. He also explained on Okinawa, at that time, the Police were asking instructors not to teach them to youth. It seemed that many kids would take them to school to go to work in the fields after school and they were seeing youth gangs begin to use them in fights. Hence their request for instructors there.

 



I made the following notes immediately after the clinic, a habit I had got into.

But I decided not to continue the practice of those kata, for as interesting as they were, I had more than enough to work on with my Isshinryu kobudo and many other studied I had made with friends in many different styles.

However, what was shown was interesting too.


https://isshin-concentration.blogspot.com/2014/06/fusei-kise-all-okinawa-shorin-ryu.html

 

It was also my son’s 2nd birthday that day.

 

Marlon Laws I believe what you call a “bone block” is after you do a striking type motion with the Sai open you close it and now the long tine runs the length of the forearm and the hand is palm down. If the hand was empty this is called a single bone block. This is called Sai Shodan is Kenshinkan. Sensei Lindsey said it was the second Sai kata taught when he was in Okinawa so we call it Sai Nidan.

The bo kata is called Bo Nidan in Kenshinkan. Sensei Lindsey learned the kata first and we call it Matsumura Sakugawa no Bo Dai.

The kama kata is Soken no Kama Sho and could possibly be based on the kata Rohai

 

 




 

No comments: